TV and films to watch in Lockdown 2.0

Here in England, it's Day 4 of a four-week lockdown.

Some of us are blessed with beautiful countryside to explore at our doorsteps, others aren't, and some (like me) aren't too far away from some greenery, but the energy needed and amount of people you'd likely have to pass to get there is too much for a daily visit. 

Staying inside is therefore a given for most days, and TV and films are a wonderful way to entertain yourself and get through tough times. I thought I'd list some I've been enjoying in case anyone out there reading (hi) needs some inspiration, and because I mostly watch Netflix I have chosen a selection from there (but they might also be on other streaming services too!):

My big ol' list of things to watch (November 2020 edition)


Dramatic, beautiful fiction series

The Queen's Gambit

A brilliant, beautifully shot series set in the 1950s/60s, based on a book of the same name by Walter Tevis. It's about a girl who grows up to become an amazing chess player, and I won't spoil it any further!


Interesting documentaries

Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics

Starring Sting, Sarah Silverman, and many other funny people talking about their experiences with psychedelic drugs.


Feel-good entertainment/makeover series

Magic for Humans

MAGIC. For humans. But especially for Susans. I love this show.

Queer Eye

OF COURSE. Pure heaven telly. And there are five seasons of beautiful makeovers to catch up on if you haven't started.

Floor is Lava

When I describe Floor is Lava to myself, it sounds more stressful than feel-good: three small teams of people try to scramble their way across obstacles to an exit whilst trying to avoid falling into a pit of bubbling hot lava. But it's fun and exciting, and it might even be a motivation for some people to exercise more so they can, too, hoist themselves across monkey bars over hot lava. I just ate crisps while I watched it – you can do that too.


Adventure films

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

My most recent watch on this list! The best Spider-Man movie in my opinion.


Romcoms

The Holiday

I love romcoms and I'm not afraid to say it. This is a classic and it's also really great to watch as we approach CHRISTMAS. I usually don't do Christmassy things before December as a matter of principle but 2020 has been terrible so Bring. It. On.

Easy A

A brilliant literary-based movie, like a lot of late 90s romcoms are (see: 10 Things I Hate About You; Clueless). On that note...

Clueless


Reality TV you can lose yourself in

Selling Sunset

Warning: it's addictive. In summary, this show is about people selling big beautiful houses in Los Angeles. I mostly started watching to see the architecture/pools/giant closets but stayed for the drama.

Instant Hotel

Couples who own holiday apartments/houses visit each others' places and rate their stay, and there's a winner at the end. It gets heated and there are loads of Aussie accents to bask in.


Comedy/stand-up

James Acaster: Repertoire

I haven't watched this recently but I couldn't miss it off the list. I'm 99.9% sure James Acaster is my favourite comedian of all time. He makes me weep tears of ridiculous joy.


There's so much more online, and in physical form, if you're feeling fancy, but this is just a quick list that I might add to in the future if I can remember what I've watched aside from Gossip Girl for the eighth time.

Hope you're cosy! x

PS. I'm taking a break from Bake Off blogs for a bit, as 2020 hit me hard! But I am still enjoying watching without typing, and using my hands to eat popcorn/snacks instead!

Comments