Weeks 6 and 7 of Rhi's road to 10k

Hello there! If you're feeling perceptive today (whether you've spotted the title of this blogpost yet or not) you may have noticed that I didn't update you last week with my running progress.

If I'm honest, I can't quite remember the reason for that, but it was probably related to one of the following:
  • Lockdown-related stress
  • Work-related stress
  • Low energy levels
  • I was playing Animal Crossing instead
I did in fact run as planned last week, but I just didn't post, and there's that. I'm very sorry and I won't do it again am not making that promise because sometimes life gets in the way, and that's okay! The weekend I'm writing this on is a bank holiday, and with more time on my hands I'm finding myself more relaxed, happier, and having more time to tune into myself. And that includes blogging. :)

In three words, the past two weeks of running have been:
  • gloriously-sunny
  • bendy (in terms of swerving around people and crossing roads to remain at a minimum of 2m distance from humans)
  • upbeat


If I were to add another word to that list, it would be therapeutic. Running for me lately has become a way to clear my head, and reflect on how much progress I'm making through sticking with something and working towards a goal. And that goal is 10k. I haven't reached as far as 7k like I did before lockdown, as the whole avoiding-people thing is tricky in a busy place like London, and I have feelings of at least mild anxiety whenever I leave the house. It might be that I choose to postpone my 10k for this reason, in COVID-19 Events Postponing fashion, but for now I'm going to keep going, in a sensible way, and run early in the mornings.

Week 6

Day 1

Run stats

  • Distance achieved: 3.53km
  • Moving time: 25:17 (minutes:seconds)
  • Pace: 7:10 / km

Day 2

Run stats

  • Distance achieved: 5.00km
  • Moving time: 38:00 (minutes:seconds)
  • Pace: 7:36 / km

Thoughts: This run really sucked at the start, but I got speedy at the end! Perseverance prevails!!!

Day 3

Today I did a long walk instead: 9.9km, 98m elevation gain, over 1h 18m. These are all number-y nonsense to me, but I enjoyed the really long walk chatting on the phone and listening to a good podcast.


Week 7

Day 1

Run stats

  • Distance achieved: 3.89km
  • Moving time: 27:42 (minutes:seconds)
  • Pace: 7:07 / km

Day 2

Run stats

  • Distance achieved: 3.29km
  • Moving time: 25:56 (minutes:seconds)
  • Pace: 7:52 / km

Day 3

Today I did a Fitness Marshall workout instead: five songs' worth of dances equaling about 20 minutes of pure pop-fuelled exercise. I am so uncoordinated.

I've been challenged to do that 5k challenge thingy, so I'll be smashing that soon. Overall it's good to see that my average pace is solidly below 8:00 / km now!

Comments