37 Thoughts I Had Watching the Great British Bake Off - Series 9 Episode 10 (THE FINAL!)

Here we are... It's Kim-Joy vs Rahul vs Ruby in the 2018 final of the Great British Bake Off, and since I only watched the semi-final two days ago, the competition is very much on my radar.

I'm ready, I'm excited, I wish I had a baked good by my side, etc.

  1. Cute little reviews of all three bakers' Bake Off 'journeys'.
  2. Noel's Final shirt is wonderfully handsome today, I must say.
  3. Aaaaaaaaand challenge uno (the signature!) of the Final: donuts. Worryingly, Rahul has never eaten a donut before finding out about this challenge. He's also planning on wacking buttercream on top... hmm.
  4. Ruby's mum pulling on the heartstrings there - I SHALT NOT CRY 7 MINUTES IN.
  5. Noel is definitely channeling The Hitcher with that cheeky donut around the eye.
  6. Kim-Joy is so wonderful. And she's so talented that a visiting wasp is trying to get it on with one of her fondant bees.
    Kim-Joy's bumblebee donuts, decorated with little bumblebees.
    from Kim-Joy's Twitter - @kimjoyskitchen
  7. RAHUUUUUL. His bright yellow fruity donut filling has splodged everywhere, argh!
    Rahul checking on his donuts in the fryer.
  8. Judgment time! P&P are picking up on Kim-Joy's inconsistent donut sizes, but they are loving the flavours and everything else.
  9. Ruby has made some gorgeous galaxy and rainbow-themed donuts. Sadly the galaxy ones don't have enough filling inside... if any at all.
  10. Rahul has had a hit with half of his donuts, and the other half are too stodgy in texture.
  11. Challenge dos... the bakers are heading outside! The technical is six pitta breads on the campfire with three dips - a babaganoush, something else, and something else with pepper in it. Aren't you pleased I'm not the official narrator of this episode?
  12. "My eyebrows are gonna be running down the side of my face" - a very 21st-century makeup worry, but a valid one nonetheless (from Ruby).
  13. I love how relaxed Kim-Joy is being. She's making me feel so calm and it's the flippin' final! What did she have for breakfast? Because I want it.
  14. This is a really exciting Technical for sure, but it isn't half confusing.
  15. Wouldn't be surprised if after this I saw a trailer for the Great British BBQ Off or similar.
  16. Time's up! And it's blind judging time. Rahul did some great work in general, while Kim-Joy has blown Paul's socks off with her spicy dips. With Ruby doing well too, it's confusing to predict what the end result will be...
  17. In third, Ruby. Second, Rahul. And FIRST IS KIM-JOY!
  18. The world starts their day with coffee and tea, Rahul starts his with a glass of milk.
  19. Challenge numero THREE (the last one!!!): an 'incredible' landscape dessert. Ooooooh.
  20. Four and a half hours for this baby. And I think Paul has had a fresh trim for the occasion.
  21. While Ruby is making a fairytale dessert world, Kim-Joy is crafting her version of the Lost City of Atlantis.
  22. Rahul is rambling on about his Ph.D., but I'll allow it as his Edible Rock Garden sounds rather lovely.
  23. OKAY. So one of the mason jars near Rahul's stovetop exploded...! There's glass all over the shop, and I think the stress is really getting to this boy (as well as the jar).
    Paul and some of the bakers' facial expressions.
  24. Rahul is getting the 15 minutes he lost back as a gift from P&P. Nice.
  25. HAHAHA. "Rahul, one word to describe yourself," Noel requests. "Depressing."
  26. He is seriously letting himself go in the final...
  27. Ruby's got her concentration face on. She's also almost creating fire.
  28. Kim-Joy is so composed she's painting seahorses. I love her.
  29. Rahul has somehow made some magical cacti stand up... and time is now up for everyone.
  30. After the break, it's time for the huge Bake Off picnic party. Woohoo!
  31. And now the judging... Prue and Paul are loving the flavours of Ruby's showstopper. Some overcooked bits, but overall a good bake.
  32. Rahul is up now. Despite his hideous-looking swamp and choux bun rocks, compliments are a-flying. He pulled it off despite his stress radiating through the screen.
  33. Kim-Joy's Lost City has a beautiful combination of colours, but Paul has said that it "falls a little bit flat" in terms of excitement/variety.
  34. Anyway, let's ignore all that waffle/cake as it's now 8 minutes until the end of the episode which means we find out who the winner is very soon.
    Rahul awaiting the results with baited breath, his hands over his face.
  35. The judges, Sandi and Noel have stepped out with huge bouquets and they're about to announce the winner...
  36. It's... dun dun dunnnnn... Rahul!
    Rahul lifts the Bake Off trophy.
  37. Right... sorry if this is controversial, but this just confirms to me that the last few weeks have been super fishy! Kim-Joy was and is my champion <3
Image via via via via via

Comments

  1. This is a really fun post! I haven't actually watched any of the GBBO series before (what am I doing?!). I think I've seen part of an episode, and it looked like something I would really enjoy watching. I think I'll have to have a catch up and watch them! Reading this post has really made me want to!

    Amy,
    https://creativenails.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun to watch, even if you don't bake much (I rarely do!) x

      Delete

Post a Comment