The Power of Sarcasm

Some people use it. Some people don't. Some people live by it. And some people just aren't good at detecting it. At all.
Yes, that's right, I'm talking about sarcasm.
The very basis of many stand-up jokes.
The benefit comedians have when being sarcastic on stage is that most of the time, depending on their approach, they're not speaking to an individual directly. So no-one in particular is offended. And it's often funny.
No doubt about it though - sarcasm can amuse but also hurt badly if taken the wrong way, or annoy if used constantly.

Take Chandler Bing for instance. When he's not ranting, worrying about things or gushing over various women and sport, he's basically le roi de sarcasme.
And since F.R.I.E.N.D.S is a comedy show, his words are taken quite lightly. Also, his friends are used to his character and behaviour.

Ross (A palaeontologist) : Guess what happened at work today?
Chandler: A dinosaur died a million years ago?
But with the old sarcasm you need to be careful. If you don't know the person you're talking to well enough, or if they themselves don't feel that they know you well enough, it's bound to go a bit pear-shaped. Your new boss, a stranger, a teacher - these are a few examples of people to shield from your witty remarks. In the past I've used sarcasm and I haven't been understood at all - even by friends. Luckily, having had a lot of practice, I've worked out how to save myself from situations and laugh at myself (the key to life, in my humble opinion). I do know quite a few people who pretty much have sarcasm running through their veins and I think they're all brilliant but I can imagine some, mainly older generations, who would disapprove with their 'attitudes'. TV is easily available nowadays and exposes us to different ways of speaking to one another - thus it's possible that young people are gaining part of what they think is acceptable from sitcoms and shows they admire. Of course, they learn from interacting with their families and friends too.
So next time you feel like being all sarc-y, consider who you're with, context and tone of voice - the way you say what you say really is important.

Rhiannon x

Comments