Couch to... 10k?!

HEY BLOG. This year, I'm going to run ten kilometres. And I've decided to track how it all goes, with the whole training malarkey, up to the point that I actually run the distance in an official, real-life race in May.

Of course, this is my first 10k, so I'm not really going to be getting into the 'race' element. It'll be more of a survival mission, frankly.

Image by wal_172619 from Pixabay

To give you an impression of where I'm at right now, so I can maybe do a bit of a before-after thing, at the moment I run:
  • 1-2 times a week
  • 2-5km at a time, depending on the day/weather/my mood/how many motivating doggos I see along the way
  • quite slowly
I did the wonderful NHS Couch to 5K program (which I recommend to anyone wanting to get into running/a bit more fit) a few years ago. And now running is something that keeps me physically, and mentally, in shape...*

... to the point where I feel off if I haven't done it in a few weeks.

Now, I know I can reach 5k in one go, but it's not always easy, so double that is a real challenge for me. And that's one of the reasons why my brain came up with the idea of shuffling my body across 10k in 2020.  I'm not ready yet, but I will be (I hope!!!), and for anyone else thinking of doing a similar thing, I hope this turns out to be a truly inspirational tale.

As long as you can cope with your inspirational tales containing a degree of complaining, wacky leggings and detailed descriptions of dog-spots.

Watch out for my account of Week 1 soon...

*Especially because I like pizza, and my office has a regular influx of TimTams.

Comments