The Power of Podcasting for Storytelling | A course on FutureLearn


Some of you who know me may know that I have a thing for Radio. Me and Radio go way back - we have history - and somewhere along the way I got involved with Podcasts too. Whoops! How naughty.

An online course adventure!


Today, I have embarked on a very exciting 'journey' (yes, that word is euurgh but I'm using it here and that's final): a free online course called 'The Power of Podcasting for Storytelling' on FutureLearn. It's being taught by the University of Wollongong and the people who are teaching the course (the 'educators') have suggested that we use a blog to keep track of our thoughts/ideas/reflections throughout the course. As a sort of "personalised process journal you can continue to build as you become more familiar with podcasting processes". Sounds groovy.

Me + podcasts


A bit of background for those less in the know: I have made radio shows before - you're welcome - but never podcasts. I only really got into podcasts in 2016 after I met a handsome boi, who I listened to S-Town with. After some other recommendations, I soon enough ventured into the podcast-scape, as it were, and began to regularly listen to podcasts that were specific to my own range of interests, not just true crime/documentary but also:


  • Funny interviews/chat (Anna Faris is Unqualified, Jenna & Julien Podcast)
  • History (Myths and Legends)
  • Gender politics/feminism (The Guilty Feminist)
  • Design (99% Invisible)
  • ...and even Meditation/Sleep! (Sleep with Me)

I listen to/download my podcasts from Spotify now (except Jenna & Julien's which I watch via YouTube). I did use to have a separate podcast app, but in the end, my phone memory had a paddy and only one app could stay - I chose the one that gives me music too!

Looking forward to learning more about how podcasts are made and used for storytelling.

Watch this space x

Comments